Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eating Local(ly) in Memphis

What's important:  I'm in law school.  I've got a budget that wants following and a body that doesn't want failing.  Aside from popping my daily multivitamins, I've taken to cooking for myself, after years of cattle-like frequenting of my undergrad's dining hall, with firm resolve.  

I am also a Young Urban Liberal; as such, I have read the likes of Michael Pollan.  But what really gets me going about local food is not so much the trendiness as the taste, the creativity, the earnestness, and the sensuousness.  My decision to eat mostly local food is based mostly on the joy it brings---and if you've ever been to a farmer's market, I think you'll agree that it's a much more pleasurable experience than your local fluorescent-lit supermarket.  Eating with the seasons makes each food item the best it could possibly be, and makes your body and taste buds appreciate what they have when they have them! 

So, there's my abbreviated paean to the local Memphis/Tennessee/Arkansas food scene.  It's a wonderful place to be.  It seems odd to start this blog in the dead of winter, when I'm living off storage potatoes, tomato sauce I made and froze last summer, and equally-squirreled-away grass-fed meat.  But I want to see what I can do with what I have.  My intention here is not proselytizing or purism, but, rather, just to highlight the delicious foods that can come out of our own backyards, and ways to cook them so that their flavor captivates and convinces.  And besides, I love to make meals, and how else could I possibly remember them all without writing them down?  So, with optimism, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment