Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I May Be Lazy, But I Am Not Wasteful: Spaghetti Squash Bake























Okay, March is hard for local food, yall.  I have plenty of stuff still in the freezer (peas, pork loin, tomato sauce, etc...) and even a few squashes yet.  It's just... well, I dream of asparagus.  Fresh things.  

Between the scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel blues and moot court, it has not been particularly fancy around here.  Like yesterday, for example, when I ate, um, scones and barbecue chicken nachos.  In my defense, they were very good scones and nachos.  Just not so much with the blogworthy.

Part of the deal with forcing myself to pay attention to what is around me, to what is growing now, though, means not turning my nose up at what I have.  It may not be show-stoppingly exciting in my kitchen right now, but I've been able to see myself through the winter with food put away from last summer/autumn and minimal grocery purchases---just dried beans, flour, sugar, and spices.  Throw in a knapsack full of hardtack* and plunk me down on the Oregon Trail.

So I had some leftover roasted spaghetti squash that needed to be Eaten.  


















Unfortunately, it's a squash shrouded in mystique.  Everything I'd read recommends scraping out the insides and eating it with tomato sauce like, well, spaghetti.  Which doesn't really do much for me because the essential squashiness of it isn't going away. 

But, another thing that isn't going away is my general unwillingness to throw out good food.  So I made it easy on myself:


















(you've seen this picture before...)
Step 1:  Chop up a medium onion; saute in olive oil with salt, pepper and sage. 






















Step 2:  Toss the squash strands and the onion together, slather the top with breadcrumbs.  Throw it into a 350 degree oven for, oh, 20-25 minutes.  

Eat, in a practical state of mind.  Maybe read something practical while you are at it, too.  Like blog reviews of Joss Whedon's new oeuvre (to all the naysayers, all I have to say to you is this:  First season of Buffy; i.e. Joss Knows Things That We Don't)

Anyway, so nothing wrong with making do with what you've got, and I've still got quite a bit.  Market season will be here before long, and fresh greens will abound!

But still, any ideas for making spaghetti squash more interesting?  Should it make next year's squashstravaganza?

Oh, yes, and:



















the point of growing a garden not shaded ridiculous colors is...?



No comments:

Post a Comment