Friday, August 28, 2009

Tomato and Onion Tart
















Apparently, people to whom I am not related nor did I go to high school/college with read this.  This post is for you, your reading, and your encouraging me to get off my rear and cook/write!

So, last week I was possessed with the urge to make tart dough.  My friend Zac and I made plans, oh, many weeks ago, to have a quiche night, and the tart tease has since left town for the salmon and Starbucks of Seattle.  Sad face, for his Memphis presence is missed.

Ignoring the gnawing cravings for crust-y things was only making it worse, so I went ahead and made enough dough for two tarts last weekend.  Saturday I made quiche for lunch, and Sunday I made this tart for dinner.  It smelled pretty amazing while baking---all warm and buttery.  Making tart dough is not really that time consuming.  I should do it more often.  

The tomatoes and the basil taste really green and light against the richer cheese and onions.  Perfect summer-fall bridge! 

Tomato and Onion Tart
From Gourmet, May 1995 (via Epicurious)

Tart dough, instructions here
2 large onions, sliced thin (Bennett-Burke Farms has delicious sweet onions)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lb Swiss or Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 lb plum tomatoes, cut into wedges (mine came from Donnell Century Farms)
1/2 lb medium yellow tomatoes, cut into wedges (which I didn't have; I used two large red slicing tomatoes total)
1/4 cup Nicoise olives, pitted






































In a large heavy skillet, cook onions with salt to taste in oil, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally (every 5 minutes, unless you like your onions a little burnt) until softened, every 20 minutes.  Remove lid and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden and liquid has evaporated.  Remove skillet from heat to allow onions to cool slightly.





































Preheat oven to 375.  Roll out your tart dough and pre-bake according to the instructions in the link above (same basic technique).  





































Spread the onions over the dough and top with the cheese.  
























I drained the tomatoes briefly before using them.  Because why go through all the effort for soggy crust, I ask you?




















Arrange the tomatoes and olives prettily on top of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.  Bake in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, until the pastry is golden.  
















Commence yumm-ing.

Other things going on besides class, law review, job hunt, etc:



















Chewie being unbearably precious.  I know, I know.  But I am limiting myself to one cute kitten picture a week.
























Is there anything more thrilling than the first tomato?  I grew that from a tiny seed!

No comments:

Post a Comment