Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chard Frittata




















Well, that was the hiatus to end all hiatii.  Turns out, this job won't find itself, but I know people have been reading and I wanted to put up something new to give them an incentive to come back (and bookmark me?  Pass me on to your friends?  Ooh, get me sponsored?  In case the whole law thing doesn't work out).  So, faithful readers, you're gettin' what I'm cookin', which is...

another frittata.

Very anticlimactic, I know.  This recipe is worth sharing for its technique, though.  Usually, when I make frittatas, I simply leave the cooked fillings in the skillet and pour beaten eggs on top, letting the eggs then set.  Here, the recipe calls for the fillings to be cooked, then mixed in with the eggs, then the whole mess is poured into the skillet.  It results in a completely different frittata:  one much denser in veggies, with just a little egg to hold it together.  It was delicious.

My chard is from the U of M garden, and the onion is from Bennett Burke Farms.  If you're headed to the farmers market this weekend, chard will probably be back, along with other cold-weather crops like bok choy.  Myself, I've been stocking up on apples, sweet potatoes, and sausage and feeling very comfort food-ey.

Chard Frittata
From the Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

1 bunch chard
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
6 eggs
olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt, pepper
A pinch of cayenne pepper
















Wash and separate the stems from the chard.  Cut the stems into 1/4 inch slices.



































Heat a tablespoon of oil in a heavy pan over medium heat and add the onion.  Cook for 5 minutes, add the chard stems and season with salt.  





















Cook for 4 minutes and add the leaves.  Cook until the leaves are tender, adding a splash of water if the pan dries out.  Turn the pan onto a plate.































Crack the eggs into a large bowl and add salt, pepper, the garlic, cayenne, and two teaspoons of olive oil.  Beat lightly.  Gently squeeze the chard with your hands, wringing out most, but not all, of the liquid (note: this step seemed a little precious to me, so I skipped it.  Feel free to do the same).  Stir the chard into the beaten eggs.  
















Thoroughly preheat a 10-inch heavy or nonstick pan over medium-low heat.  Pour in two tablespoons of olive oil.  After a few minutes, pour in the egg mixture.  As the eggs set on the bottom, lift the edges to allow the uncooked egg to flow underneath.  Continue to cook until mostly set.  You can either try to flip the frittata by sliding it on a plate and inverting the plate over the pan, but I like to finish mine in the oven.  10 minutes in a 350 degree oven will do the trick.
















Serve warm or at room temperature with a scone, some coffee, and procedural due process.


Bonus cute kitten feature:




















Research cat




















Does not care about transfer on death deeds but would chase one around the room if you balled it up and threw it.


Going to the Carrie Rodriguez show at the Overton Park Shell tonight... I hope it doesn't rain!


4 comments:

  1. Hey, I’m one of your MFM buddies. I had no idea you had this site. I absolutely love it! YUM!! Can’t wait to dig into a chard frittata. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, is this Lindsey? Mark told me he met you and gave you my blog address. Woohoo! Glad you're reading. Are you coming to volunteer anytime soon? Lauren and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rained! But that just made it more memorable.

    I made this dish. Though it was not at all difficult to cook, being almost entirely cooking illiterate I am overly proud of myself for having accomplished it. The fact that it came out looking anything like it's supposed to can only be attributed to your clear directions. I'll have more details to share the next time I talk with you, if you care to hear them. Bottom line: delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain it did... "Can somebody turn off the mandolin channel? It's... sparking..."

    So happy to hear you liked it! Not everyone likes chard. Can't wait to hear adventures at the next supper club.

    ReplyDelete