Monday, October 12, 2009

And now, for something completely different

Y'all, today I got called on in Income Tax, and I had to say, "I'm sorry, Professor, I'm unprepared today."  It was embarrassing.  But I figured he didn't want to hear my reason for being unprepared, which was because I was calling everyone I knew this weekend to tell them that I am going to meet Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor this Thursday.  At least, I think I am going to get to meet her.  I hope I do!  At any rate, we will be in the same room.

And this is why:  I applied for and won the Nat*ional Assoc*iation of Women Jud*ges' Justice San*dra Day O'Con*nor Scholar*ship.  The NA*WJ is holding its annual conference this week in Memphis, and I will receive the award during a luncheon at which Justice O'Connor is the keynote speaker.  Words like thrilled, stunned, honored, and, yes, giddy, don't even begin to describe how I feel.  Justice O'Connor is a huge inspiration to me, and to even be in the same room as her will, I imagine, feel like the fulfillment of the feminist dream of serious work, capability, independence, and the commitment to improving equal access to justice (and to the various ways in which justice is clothed), all ideals by which I try to live my life.  I don't think it has all truly sunk in yet, but I will let you know how it goes!

So, no food today.  There's a green bean spread and maybe eggplant/sausage stuffing waiting in the wings, but they might be on hold for a while---while I make sure to read Wednesday's Tax assignment very, very closely.

2 comments:

  1. I know that you know that I've known about the award for the while, but I just want to say YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! as emphatically as I can in every medium:)

    Congrats friend, you most definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. every medium but real-life... HURRY HOME TO MY ARMS! love you friend.

    ReplyDelete