Sunday, July 18, 2010

Joan Dye Gussow's Eggplant Bhurta
















Like I don't already have enough recipes for eggplant on this blog -- it started out at a challenge vegetable for me, but I've grown to like it so much that it's not hard to work it in at all anymore. This recipe, which I cut in half for a filling lunch, is another good, quick way to enjoy it. I'd never heard of bhurta before, but apparently it's an Indian dish of lightly fried or sauteed mashed vegetables. Here, the roasted eggplant gets a nice boost from the spicy peppers.

Eggplant Bhurta
From This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow

2 medium eggplants (from Mama L's garden)
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped (used a couple small ones from Richardson Farms)
1 peeled green Anaheim pepper (I used some roasted jalepenos)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons yogurt

Score and roast the eggplant in the oven -- about an hour at 450 degrees. Peel and mash it, or use your food processor to chop it.



































Saute the onion and pepper in the butter, then add the eggplant.

















Add the salt and the yogurt and serve over rice (basmati would have been awesome, had I had some). Simple for summer. That's about all I can do in this heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment