Sunday, September 12, 2010

Carrot and Winter Squash Risotto



















So this is not my first attempt at risotto, but it is my first successful attempt. I made it once before, during 1L year, and was most unimpressed with the results. It didn't even make the blog under the category "Valient Efforts." I think I used PBR because I was too poor to buy wine (or good beer, for that matter). Anyway, this recipe doesn't even call for any sort of alcohol (that's okay, supper club is eating it tonight with Guinness meat pie), and it's delicious. I think the keys were lots of butter, generous Parmesan, and persistent stirring. The stirring part is what scares a lot of people off risotto, but this only took about 30 minutes to get all nice and creamy.
Even though it's not super autumn-y yet, I wanted to make this dish because I had fresh carrots from Whitton Farms and about a cup of frozen roasted acorn squash from Windemere Farms. I'd really like to make this again with butternut squash, though. The short-grain rice I picked up at Mediterranean Grocery on Park.

























Carrot and Winter Squash Risotto
From The Produce Bible by Leanne Kitchen

1/3 cup butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups diced winter squash
2 carrots, diced (mine were smaller than standard grocery carrots, so I used more)
8 cups vegetable stock, heated (I used some homemade light beef stock I had on hand and supplemented with hot water)
2 cups risotto rice (arborio or any other short-grain)
1 cup shaved Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg












































Prep your veggies!



















Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan (I think you'd really need a larger cooking vessel than a standard frying pan because the rice expands exponentially. I used my wok). Add the onion and fry for 1-2 minutes or until soft.

























Add the diced winter squash and carrot and cook for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Mash slightly with a potato masher (whoops, forgot this step).


















In a separate saucepan, heat the stock over medium heat and keep the stock at simmering point.


















Add the rice to the vegetable and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the grains are translucent. Ladle in 1/2 cup of hot stock and stir well. Reduce the heat and add the stock little by little, stirring constantly for 20-30 minutes, until the rice is tender and creamy. You may use not all the stock or need to add some water.



















After 10 minutes of cooking



















After 30 minutes - yum. Remove from the heat, add the remaining butter, the cheese, and nutmeg, season with freshly ground black pepper and stir thoroughly. Cover and leave for 5 minutes before serving.

I tasted it when I made it last night (going to see how it reheats tonight...). The nutmeg addition is a stroke of genius.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Diana, I found a piece on fruit preserving via spirits and am going to try doing some myself (either rumtopf or the brandied plums) this Fall. I wonder if you've any experience with the process or results that you wouldn't mind sharing. Or, if you haven't, perhaps you'd be interested in the recipes provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've never done that before, but it sounds delicious. I would love to pull that out and have it over ice cream later in the season. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I suppose the link would be useful (for said recipes): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/dining/22appe.html

    Will do!

    ReplyDelete