Thursday, January 20, 2011

Whole Wheat Ginger-Pear Snow Day Muffins!



















Another snow day! Well, we don't know if school will be called off tomorrow, but today is still snow-ful. There's some sort of running joke in Memphis that people are supposed to stock up on bread and milk when a big storm threatens to shut down the city. I have no idea why. But it's completely true--the milk section at the Midtown Schnuck's was totally ransacked when I went by (innocently!) before the last snowfall.

This time, I made muffins with sour cream (kind of milk-y?) and wheat flour (kind of bread-y?) instead.




















Whole Wheat Ginger-Pear Muffins
Adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe in the NY Times

1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (original recipe calls for 1, but I like-a the ginger)
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey (local Wolf River honey)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups diced pears (1 large and 1 small Keiffer pears from Jones Orchard)





































Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups (or line with muffin liners). In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugars, and ginger.




















In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients: oil, honey, sour cream, and eggs. Whisk together.




















Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. I don't know if this is because I used whole wheat flour, or if the humidity is playing a factor here, or what, but my mixture was pretty grainy, not runny like I anticipated. It tasted good though. Then fold in the pears.




















Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Bake about 20-25 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.




















New cooling racks! Another Christmas present from baking-enabling parents.

I loved the gingery taste of these, and the little embedded pear surprises are delicious, too.
















Muffins in the snow, because why not?!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and would love to guest post an educational article I have written pertaining to organic and local foods. If you are interested please email me for more information.

    T. Morrison
    twmorrison75@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete