Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mile-High Strawberry Pie





For a time while I was a child, my family lived in Macon, GA, and that place, more than any place I've lived since coming to Memphis, defined what I feel when I think of "hot summer nights."  It was sticky and humid and gross and there were mosquitoes and we were outside all the freaking time.  If was, of course, wonderful.  I have great memories of summertime there there, playing kickball on my safe, safe cul-de-sac (member of Gen-Y here), running around in the woods, and, most importantly, raiding my parents' deep freeze for ice cream sandwiches, orange sherbet push pops, and, best of all, my mom's mile-high strawberry pie.  She recently scanned and sent me the recipe for this frozen delight of my childhood and now, o interwebs, it is my gift to you.

It should be noted that I recently made this twice in one week - but, in my defense, the first pie was devoured at a Grizzlies watch party.  For the second pie, I have no defense.

Jones Orchard strawberries here.  Strawberries are starting to dwindle at the market, but you may have been lucky enough to snag a basket from either Jones or Whitton Farms early this morning.  On the other hand, blueberries should start coming in in a couple of weeks, and blackberries are trickling in now.


Mile-High Strawberry Pie





1 9" baked pastry shell or crumb crust (I used a simple graham cracker crust recipe)

1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar - adjust to your preference.  The original recipe calls for 1 cup, but that seems like too much.
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, partially thawed, and sliced
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream, stiffly whipped


Combine sugar, egg whites, strawberries, vanilla,  lemon juice, and salt in a large bowl. 





Beat at high speed for 15 minutes until thick, fluffy, and voluminous.  Fold in whipped cream and pile mixture into pie shell (baked if using pastry shell). 





Cover with plastic wrap or foil and freeze for several hours (you'll need at least 3, and 4 would be better).  To serve, remove from freezer and eat immediately.





There are some adorable handwritten notes under the recipe card, penned by my grandmother.  They say, "Susan [that's my mom] - use a 'spring form' pan like you use for your cheesecake.  This is one of Marie's [my French great-great grandmother] recipes. You'll love it. So will the kids."  And we do.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear from you! For a tasty treat that invokes such fond memories, no defense is necessary :).

    ReplyDelete